When you feel like something decadent, this may just hit the spot! No refined sugar, only what you’ll find in the dates which have the added bonus of fibre and magnesium.
Soak 1 c dates in boiling water, while dates are soaking
Blitz up in food processor:
1/2 c rolled oats
1/2 c almonds
1/2 c sunflower seeds
1/2 c cacao powder
1/2 c protein powder (I’ve used a vanilla plant based powder, chocolate would be good too)
2 heaped Tb coconut oil
2 Tb tahini
Blitz some more to mix, then add date water to get the right consistency.
Spread into a slice tray 20 cm x 26 cm. Put in freezer while you make the topping.
Melt 1/2 c cacao butter, when melted add 1 Tb tahini and 1/2 c cacao powder.
Chop 1/3 c cashew nuts in processor, add to mix.
Spread over the base, put in fridge to set. Best the next day if you can wait as the flavours develop!
- I’ve substituted the cashews with goji berries in the topping.
- Finely chopped dried apricots would be scrummy in the base too, I’ve also popped a handful of goji’s in the base.
- I ran out of dates one day when I was making so used around 2/3 c dates, 1/3 c cranberries soaking them together.
- Consistency will change depending on the protein powder you use. I haven’t made it omitting the powder but think recipe would work, you may need to add some psyllium husk or chia seeds to bulk up, perhaps no date water or a lot less.
- I use USANA Nutrimeal Free which is plant based so gluten and dairy free.
- Could also make into balls and leave out the topping.
- Most importantly, have fun experimenting.
If you’d like help and support making healthy changes to your diet or lifestyle, please get in touch with Robin
Check out my free 30 minute chat to see if I can help you.
Here’s what my customers have to say.