Soak 1 c dates in boiling water, while dates are soaking
Blitz up in food processor:
1/2 c rolled oats
1/2 c almonds
1/2 c sunflower seeds
1/2 c cacao powder
1/2 c protein powder (I’ve used a vanilla plant based powder, chocolate would be good too)
2 heaped Tb coconut oil
2 Tb tahini
Blitz some more to mix, then add date water to get the right consistency.
Spread into a slice tray 20 cm x 26 cm. Put in freezer while you make the topping.
Melt 1/2 c cacao butter, when melted add 1 Tb tahini and 1/2 c cacao powder.
Chop 1/3 c cashew nuts in processor, add to mix.
Spread over the base, put in fridge to set. Best the next day if you can wait as the flavours develop!
- I’ve substituted the cashews with goji berries in the topping.
- Finely chopped dried apricots would be scrummy in the base too, I’ve also popped a handful of goji’s in the base.
- I ran out of dates one day when I was making so used around 2/3 c dates, 1/3 c cranberries soaking them together.
- Consistency will change depending on the protein powder you use. I haven’t made it omitting the powder but think recipe would work, you may need to add some psyllium husk or chia seeds to bulk up, perhaps no date water or a lot less.
- I use USANA Nutrimeal Free which is plant based so gluten and dairy free.
- Could also make into balls and leave out the topping.
- Most importantly, have fun experimenting.