I’m often asked “how can I get calcium if I’m not having dairy? There’s many ways, enjoying things like these balls is just one way.
- ½ c rolled oats (provided you can tolerate oats – possible substitutes could include coconut/quinoa flake combo)
- 2 scoops vanilla/plain protein powder
- * ½ c almonds/cashews or combo
- 1 c frozen blueberries
- **1 TB tahini
- *** 2 TB almond butter
- ½ c dried cranberries
- 2 TB dried raspberry powder or 8 – 10 drops Organic Orange Essential oil
- Blend rolled oats, protein powder, nuts in food processor till very fine.
- Add blueberries, blitz then add nut butter, tahini and raspberry powder or essential oil to suit your taste.
- Stir in cranberries, you may need a little water to bind, depending on your cranberries and butters.
- Roll into balls then in coconut or sesame seeds.
When using essential oils in this way, always make 100% sure they’re organic, therapeutic quality oils suitable to be ingested. Examples of oils to consider using in cooking are ginger, peppermint, lemon, orange or mandarin.
* I’ve used just almonds or a combo of almonds and cashews. Would be good with walnuts, some brazils, or any combo you fancy!
** Be wary of sesame seed allergies if using tahini, you could use more almond butter instead.
*** Can use peanut butter, will give a stronger peanut flavour, cashew butter would also be great.
If cranberries are hard, soak for a short time first. Sometimes I soak them in my favourite blueberry and blackcurrant tea then use some of this liquid to get the balls to the right consistency.
If you happen to add too much liquid, try adding some psyllium husk or chia seeds, these are both great binders and great for you. Psyllium will also help to get you going, great for your colon!
I use USANA Nutri Meal Free protein powder which is formulated without soy, dairy, gluten or fructose.
If you need an extra binder, a small amount of Fibergy Plus from USANA can be another great option instead of psyllium.
Enjoy and have fun experimenting with flavours, additions or substitutions!
It can seem overwhelming when you’re needing to make changes to your’s or a family members diet.
I’m here to help – having been there myself, I know what it’s like!